Have you ever thought about making your own soap, free from all harmful additives? This recipe for baby-soft skin soap is taken from Holly Daffurn and Samantha Quinn’s book The Natural Baby – but it will also be very useful for grown-ups with sensitive skin.
450g (16oz) water
225g (8oz) vegetable soap (grated and unscented)
30g (1oz) beeswax
30g (1oz) cocoa butter
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp oatmeal (finely ground)
1 tbsp honey (gently warmed)
- Grease a soap mould with a little sunflower oil.
- Heat the water until just before it boils and add the grated soap while stirring. Stir occasionally until melted and use a blender (with a little extra water) until it has a smooth texture. Then pour back into the saucepan.
- When the soap is melted, add the beeswax, cocoa butter and coconut oil, and stir over a low heat until everything is combined.
- Remove from the heat and add the oatmeal, ensuring that you mix it thoroughly. Add the honey and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the mould and cover with greaseproof paper. Leave for around 24 hours to set.
- Take it out of the mould and leave for another 24 hours wrapped in the greaseproof paper.
Samantha Quinn and Holly Daffurn The Natural Baby